Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"Nothing could have survived our love"

I am utterly fascinated with the lives of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald.  The drama, passion, and devotion of their relationship rivals any story, real or fictional.  Theirs was a great romance.  Though challenged by alcoholism and mental illness, infidelity and separation, career ambitions and debt, their intense love for and devotion to each other never wavered.  In the end, they were the downfall of their own love.  For anyone interested in more information about their lives together, there are several great books out there.  My favorite is Dear Scott, Dearest Zelda: The Love Letters of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald.  It follows their relationship from its beginning to the final letter F. Scott wrote to Zelda just two days before his death.  The things they say to each other are, for lack of better words, tragically beautiful...

Thanks again for saving me.  Someday I'll save you too.

You are the finest, loveliest, tenderest, most beautiful person I have ever known, but even that is an understatement because the length that you went to at the end would have tried anybody beyond endurance.

I love you anyway - even if there isn't any me or any love or even any life - I love you.

Nothing could have survived our love.

No matter what happens I have always loved you so.  This is the way we feel about us; other emotions may be super-imposed, even accident may contribute another quality to our emotions, but this is our love and nothing can change it.  For that is true.  And I love you still.

Forget the past - what you can of it, and turn about and swim back home to me, to your haven for ever and ever - even though it may seem a dark cave at times and lit with torches of fury; it is the best refuge for you - turn gently in the waters through which you move and sail back.

Happily, happily foreverafterwards - the best we could.

No comments: